Join us for our annual MAP conference ONLY if you are looking for a dynamic, interactive, thought-provoking & inspirational
opportunity designed for CPA firm leadership!
Accounting firms face challenges today which at times can be overwhelming:
- Staff recruiting and retention
- Client recruiting, retention and releasing
- Mastering new skill requirements
- Continually changing technology
- Workflow and efficiency
Join us for 2 information-packed days focused on skills and knowledge that will help you and your firm become more effective dealing with several major trends impacting your business environment.
BONUS COMPLIMENTARY CPE:
All attendees of this 2-day conference will be invited to attend one of five offerings of our Advanced Management and Leadership Essentials Mini Session, a 2-hour webinar designed for advanced staff that highlights leadership skills and situations that are common for senior managers in CPA firms, as our guest.
Day 1 - Big Picture Mega-Trends and Risks Agenda
Big Picture Mega-Trends, Big Data, and World We Now Face
- It is easy for us to get caught up in our work, but it is better to examine the 'big picture' by studying the outside factors that impact our business beyond our internal processes and day to day responsibilities. We are sometimes so busy with our tasks that we miss new developments until the developments have a profound impact on us and the organization. This session is designed to review many of these current trends, while thinking and discussing how these trends can impact our organizations and us. This is a fun and lively session that is intended to be interactive with participants either live, virtual or both. Our ever-changing world is evolving more than many realize.
Deceit and the Whys Behind the Lies: Understanding Ethics
- Our guidance on ethics comes from the AICPA and other groups, but it does not fully address the "why" behind ethics. This session will examine and define what ethics is and what it means to varying people in the workplace. Understanding what motivates people and understanding those people are key to both solving ethical dilemmas and workplace issues that can lead to greater job satisfaction and efficiency. To correct an issue, you need to delve into the root cause - the why?
Office Politics: Navigating the Minefield
- Office politics can derail careers and destroy organizations. It exists, and we will provide solutions towards improving the workplace dynamic. Using office politics for good can be constructive. This session will cover the core elements of office politics and ways in which they may be solved, so the organization can thrive. If you have seen first-hand the destructive power of negative office politics, this seminar will be enlightening.
Big Four Reasons Why CPAs are Fired
- No one wants to lose their clients and loosing them can be frustrating because it takes a long time to cultivate good clients. Client turnover, or churn, damages relationships, reputations and economics - what lessons can we learn from everyday mistakes made by seemingly savvy CPAs? This discussion focuses on over forty recommendations to strengthen the relationship with the client, to hopefully prevent the client from moving on. We will discuss proven techniques to effectively retain existing clients, keep you employed and help you gain new clients! Addressing the four reasons why CPAs are replaced is not merely something "nice to do" but can mean the difference between success, failure and survival in today's competitive environment. If you want to improve the business and professional relationship, this session will open your eyes.
Day 2 Agenda:
CAS is a Journey: Move the Needle on People, Processes, and Technology
- CAS is not "all or nothing" - CPA.com has worked with thousands of CAS practitioners, and we can share best practices for planning your journey around:
- Process changes: building time to work on the CAS practice
- People changes: create new staffing models and upskill your team
- Technology changes: planning for the evolution of your CAS practice, and selecting software that supports the optimized practice and clients you are working toward, not just the clients and practice you currently have.
Firm Practice Management
- Things you should know/be aware ofâ€¦
- Including discussion on FinCENs new requirement of reporting beneficial ownership of small businesses
- Update standards that may impact small firms
- Latest legislative, IRS issues
- Discussion of best practices/how to address time constraints and pressure of tax deadlines
- Including technology, processes in tax services, getting ready for succession or merger
- Risk management
- Professional liability
MAP Survey Results (PCPS MAP Survey opens May 1)
- Characteristics of a top-performing firm
- Small firm insights
- Medium firm insights
- Finalize pre-conference "homework"
- Printed materials will be provided to you at the conference
Bob Mims, CPA, is a financial consultant and VP Finance for promising enterprises. For 20 years, Robert has worked with numerous startup ventures and nonprofits in the roles of Strategic Planning, Business Modeling, Controller and CFO. His focus is understanding the fundamentals of profitability. Robert worked ten years as a Big Four a Senior Assurance Manager, earning National Instructor of the Year on three occasions. Robert has served on FASB Advisory committees and is based in Memphis, TN.
Carl Peterson, CPA, is Vice President of Small Firms at the American Institute of CPAs. In this role, he serves as the small firm advocate and representative for the profession.
In this capacity, he meets with small CPA firms regularly to understand their issues and represent these firms from an advocacy and firm development perspective. Peterson serves as the voice of small firms within the AICPA on standard-setting, regulatory and small business issues. He is responsible for ensuring AICPA initiatives continue to meet the needs of small firms.
Carl is a licensed CPA, and previously served as a managing partner at Peterson, Peterson & Associates, PLC, in Minneapolis/St. Paul, where he built its service and client base.
Carl has a history volunteering within the profession, including having served as a member of AICPA Council and as a member of the AICPA's Accounting and Review Services Committee. In addition, he has served the Minnesota Society of CPAs as Chairman of the Board of Directors, as well as Chairman of the Political Action and Legislative Affairs committees. In 2013, he was honored by the Society with their Distinguished Service Award.
Peterson graduated from Kansas State with a BS in accounting.
Todd Cooper, Senior Manager with CPA.com, is a sales executive with broad knowledge of the tax and accounting industry. He manages strategic relationships along with Fortune 1000 companies. In his 18+ years working with software designed for tax, accounting, & finance, Todd has specialized in workflow & business process optimization.
Prior to XCM Solutions, Todd was most notably:
- Applications Solutions Manager at Oracle
- Vice President of Strategic Accounts at Realpage, Inc
- Strategic Account Manager for CCH, a Wolters Kluwer business
Todd graduated with a BA focused in Business from Texas State University-San Marcos.