ISCPA strives to connect our members throughout Idaho by providing a community of like-minded professionals dedicated to protecting the integrity of the accounting profession. We are pleased to have Skip Braziel, AICPA State Regulatory & Legislative Affairs, share his insights about working with state CPA societies, national governments, US state governments, regulators, legislators and accounting bodies to influence and shape policy decisions impacting the profession. We will then shift gears and enhance our reading and memory skills, an advantage we can all use.
- 7:00 am – Sign in table opens
- 7:00 – 7:30 am – Breakfast Buffet
- 7:30 – 8:30am – Skip Braziel, AICPA VP, State Regulatory & Legislative Affairs
- 8:45 – 10:15 am – Speed Reading & Memory Techniques round 1
- Increase your reading speed using practical techniques
- Improve comprehension with better focus & concentration
- Approach technical material & analytical reading more effectively
- Read faster on the computer screen and other digital devices
- 10:30 – 11:15 am – ISCPA Annual Meeting
- 11:30 am – 1:00 pm – Speed Reading & Memory Techniques round 2
- How Your Memory Works
- Boosting Your Short-Term & Long-Term Memory
- Memorizing Key Information More Effectively
- Remembering Long Lists of Information in a Precise Order
- Recalling Details More Easily Using an Ancient Greek Technique
Skip Braziel, AICPA Vice President, State Regulatory & Legislative Affairs
In this role, Braziel is responsible for building strong, collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders on state legislative and regulatory issues. He, serves as the AICPA’s primary voice and contact on those matters, working closely with state CPA societies, state boards of accountancy, the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy, and elected state legislative and executive branch officials.
Before joining the AICPA, Braziel worked at MetLife, Inc., where he served as assistant vice president of government relations and prior to that as the company’s government relations counsel, in New York City and Washington, D.C. Before that, Braziel was vice president for state and local government relations for LaSalle Bank in Chicago, Ill. Prior to that, he served as vice president of community relations for J.P. Morgan Chase in Chicago. Earlier, he was director of government relations for the National Association of Dental Plans in Dallas, Texas.
Braziel holds a JD from Southern Methodist University in Dallas, an MA in History from the University of Texas in San Antonio, and a BA in English from the University of Texas in Austin.
Paul Nowak is the Founder of Iris Reading, the largest and most trusted provider of speed-reading and memory training. His workshops have been taught to thousands of students and professionals in major cities throughout the world. He has been a guest speaker at universities that include Harvard, Stanford and the University of Chicago. His training programs have been taught to executives at NASA, Google, Fidelity Investments, GIC, KPMG, Northern Trust and a number of Fortune 500 companies.